The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) on Monday evening suspended its planned industrial action over the distortion of the new Polytechnics Scheme of Service following a ministerial intervention.
ASUP had issued the Federal Government 15 days ultimatum to stop the implementation of the new scheme of service.
The union had accused the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) of distorting what stakeholders had earlier agreed in the new scheme service and rejected the one sent to polytechnics for implementation.
The decision to suspend the scheduled strike was taken at an emergency National Executive Council (NEC) of ASUP after its national leadership met with the Federal Ministry of Education and NBTE officials on Monday.
In a statement signed by the President, Shammah Kpanja, recalled that the union issued a 15-day ultimatum to the government following a resolution at the 110th NEC meeting, adding, “the ultimatum was from July 8th, 2024 and the issue in contention centered on contentious provisions in the new Scheme of Service released by NBTE on June 19th, 2024.
He said ASUP had reviewed the document and identified several provisions that fundamentally altered the tertiary education status of polytechnics in Nigeria, deepened the condemnable and agelong discrimination against holders of the Higher National Diploma certificate, distorted employee relativity in the Nigeria Polytechnic System, and unnecessarily expanded the overheads of the Institutions.
Kpanja said the union demanded the suspension of the implementation of the contentious provisions and the commencement of a review through a stakeholders’ engagement process.
“The 15 days ultimatum was to provide the government ample time to address our grievance or face diverse forms of industrial action by our aggrieved members. “Within the 15 days period however, our union’s leadership was invited to a tripartite meeting with the leadership of the NBTE and Federal Ministry of Education on July 19th where it was resolved that the implementation of the flawed document be suspended and a review process be initiated in line with the demands of our union,” he stated.
He revealed that the document was immediately suspended by the NBTE through a circular addressed to the Chairmen, Governing Councils, Rectors and Provosts of our institution’s same day.
His added: “Following this development, our union’s NEC reconvened on an emergency on July 22nd to review our earlier position. The NEC resolved to suspend the earlier scheduled industrial action in recognition of the fact that the demands of the union have been met substantially.”
The president appreciated its members’ steadfastness in the face of the unearned provocation; the intervention and inputs of different stakeholders including rectors of polytechnics; sister staff unions and the students through the National Association of Polytechnic Students.
“We are equally appreciative of the productive intervention of the Minister, Federal Ministry of Education and the receptive disposition of the Executive Secretary of the NBTE in arriving at the decisions as well as the media for once again being worthy partners.”
According to him, ASUP would dedicate energy and time in the coming days to prepare for the review exercise so as to produce a document that will reflect the aspirations of the sector.